School Safety Reminders
Please take extra precautions when driving through school zones or trailing school buses.
- Watch your speed in school zones. A zone begins where the school speed limit sign is posted and continues until you reach an end school zone sign or another posted speed sign.
- Slow down near bus stops and areas children tend to congregate. Kids may be distracted or act unpredictably, so give yourself time to react.
- Stop and remain stopped while people enter and clear the crosswalk.
- Comply with directions from school crossing guards.
- If you see flashing amber lights on a school bus, please prepare to stop.
- “When the red lights flash on buses, stop before reaching the bus and remain stopped until the driver turns off the flashing lights.
- If you are on a divided highway with two roads separated by an unpaved median strip or barrier, you must stop only if you are on the same side of the road as the bus.
- A painted median strip or turn lane does not create two separate roads. In this case, all lanes of traffic must stop.” (OR DMV)
- Remove distractions so you can fully pay attention to all of the people and activities in the area. Pull over if you need to text or answer a call.
- Please don't park in bike lanes and along streets marked "No Parking at Any Time" as this forces cyclists and pedestrians into the lanes of travel.
- Allow for extra time in your commute. Drivers take more risks when they are late.