Congratulations to our Walk+Roll to School Day Winners
Big thank you to all the students, parents, caregivers, and teachers that walked, biked or rolled to school on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. Each year Tigard-Tualatin Safe Routes to School program honors an Elementary and Middle School with the coveted Golden Sneaker Award, given to schools with the most students, and teachers that walked to school that day. This year’s winners are:
- 2019 Elementary School Golden Sneaker Award: Durham Elementary School
- 2019 Middle School Golden Sneaker Award: Fowler Middle School
We want to also take the time to honor other schools and their efforts with the following awards:
- The Golden Roller: Metzger Elementary (Highest number of students who biked, scooted, or skated to school)
- The Golden Bus: Deer Creek Elementary (Highest number of students rode the bus to school)
- The Golden Globe: Templeton Elementary (Highest number of students who walked, rolled, or bused to school)
- Great Strides: CF Tigard Elementary , Durham Elementary , Metzger Elementary and Fowler Middle School (Increased their percentage of walkers and rollers over last spring.)
We want to thank all schools for participating in this fall’s event that promotes safe walking and biking year round.
Back to School: Plan Ahead
It’s back to school time and along with notebooks, pencils and erasers, families should have a plan for getting to school safely. Whether your children walk, bike, take the bus, or ride in a car, practice getting them there safe and sound.
Make time to practice traveling their route to school and discuss how the following tips will help them get there safely and responsibly.
Check your route before school starts!
- Plan a walking route that has low traffic volume, few intersections, slow speeds, bicycle lanes and sidewalks.
- Always cross the street at the corner and in the designated crosswalk. Make sure to look both ways for traffic and wait for cars to stop before you cross the street.
- If there are no sidewalks, keep close to the shoulder of the road facing traffic so you can see approaching cars.
- Check our suggested route for your Elementary School: www.tigard-or.gov/srtsmaps
Be Safe! Be Seen!
- Plan to walk with friends, join a Walking School Bus on your route, or start one yourself.
- Always be alert and keep your eyes and ears open!
- Be predictable by walking and riding in a straight line.
- Stay visible with light or reflective clothing.
Spread the word and help get your fellow students out walking and biking.