Walk+Roll to School Day - October 2, 2019
Join thousands of students in celebrating the joy of biking and walking to school on Walk+Roll to School Day. This annual event promotes safe walking and biking:
- Teaches safe transportation skills.
- Promotes traffic safety around the school and in the community.
- Increases children’s physical activity.
- Reduces pollution and traffic congestion around schools.
- Builds awareness around walkability and highlights where improvements can be made.
- Inspires parents and students to integrate walking and biking in the daily routine.
Concerned about safe routes? Parents concerned about routes to school without sidewalks or with busy streets are encouraged to walk or bike with your child for safety and for some extra special time together. Parents check in at the tables in front to receive a surprise as well.
Live far away? Consider parking a few blocks away from the school in the area neighborhood and walk with your child onto campus and check in at the tables so you and your child can receive a little surprise for the walking that was done. This is a great way to get some walking in and participate if the trip from your front door to the school is unsafe for travel or just too far.
Back to School: Plan Ahead
It’s back to school time and along with notebooks, pencils and erasers, families should have a plan for getting to school safely. Whether your children walk, bike, take the bus, or ride in a car, practice getting them there safe and sound.
Make time to practice traveling their route to school and discuss how the following tips will help them get there safely and responsibly.
Check your route before school starts!
- Plan a walking route that has low traffic volume, few intersections, slow speeds, bicycle lanes and sidewalks.
- Always cross the street at the corner and in the designated crosswalk. Make sure to look both ways for traffic and wait for cars to stop before you cross the street.
- If there are no sidewalks, keep close to the shoulder of the road facing traffic so you can see approaching cars.
- Check our suggested route for your Elementary School: www.tigard-or.gov/srtsmaps
Be Safe! Be Seen!
- Plan to walk with friends, join a Walking School Bus on your route, or start one yourself.
- Always be alert and keep your eyes and ears open!
- Be predictable by walking and riding in a straight line.
- Stay visible with light or reflective clothing.
Don’t forget to mark your calendar for International Walk + Roll to School Day on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019! Spread the word and help get your fellow students out walking and biking.