Alert Emergency Alert

Coronavirus Updates Provided by the City of Tigard

Read More
JOBS  |  MAPS  |  Codes  |  CONNECT  |  FORMS  |  CONTACT
  • Permit Center

Community Planning

Code Compliance

How to File a Code Violation Complaint

  • If you find a code violation that needs correction, please send us a code violation complaint through our online portal or pick up a request form at the Permit Center.
  • Please remember to provide the property’s address. 
  • All complaints are public record and anonymous complaints will not be accepted.
  • Code Compliance will be happy to work with you to get violations corrected.
  • Common code violations can be found here.

Traffic and Abandoned Vehicle Complaints
Use this form for traffic complaints, including inoperable or abandoned vehicles, RVs, boats, trailers, PODS. 

Submit a Code Violation Complaint

The city investigates reports of code violations when a citizen submits a code violation complaint.  Contact information must be provided so that we can contact the complainant to act on requests for code compliance services. All information entered into the online code compliance system becomes public record, including your contact information.
Step 1
To submit a code violation complaint, you will need to provide the following:
check mark The type of code violation being reported
check mark The address or parcel number of the property where the observed violation exists
check mark Contact information for complainant
check mark  A description of the observed violation, including the location on the property (supporting documentation such as photos, maps, letters, illustrations, etc. may be helpful)
For more information about these items, please view our detailed instructions here. We recommend printing these instructions to use as a reference guide as you navigate through the online system to submit a code violation complaint.

Step 2
Click the link below to continue to our online system to submit a code violation complaint. By clicking this link, you understand and agree to allow all information provided to become a public record.

Please note that your browser must be set to "allow pop-ups from this site" before proceeding.
Submit Code Violation Complaint for code violation types as shown below:
  • Nuisance: illegal signage, junk, vegetation...
  • Land Use: planning and zoning...
  • Building: construction, permits, drainage problems, retaining walls, fences...
  • Housing: inadequate maintenance, leaking roofs and windows, inoperable toilets, drains, and septic systems...


Tall Grass and Weeds

Nuisance Grass

Did you know grass and weeds over 10 inches tall or going to seed are code violations?
High grass and weeds are considered “noxious vegetation,” which is a civil infraction in Tigard with potential fines of up to $250 per day.  By contrast, aesthetic issues like shaggy lawns, overgrown shrubs and failure to water a lawn are not code violations. 

Be sure to keep your yard trimmed and mowed. Front and rear yards are obvious when they get too tall or overgrown, but many residents have other, less noticed areas that require the same maintenance.

Did you know property owners are also responsible for the maintenance of city right-of way?
Residents should look past the obvious property boundaries when maintaining their yards and look for adjoining right-of-way areas that needs maintenance. 

For instance, the adjoining property owner is responsible for maintaining:

  • Planter strips between the sidewalk and the street (even if behind a fence).
  • Areas that stretch up through their properties to the road or to a ditch.
  • Any vegetation that is behind their properties such as on a hillside (even if outside the fenced yard). 
City of Tigard Permit Center
13125 SW Hall Blvd; Tigard, OR 97223
Code Compliance

Quick Links
  »  Common Code Violation Details

Submit Complaints
  »  Traffic/Abandoned Vehicles
  »  Code Violation Complaints
Other Agencies
  »  Washington County Animal Services
  »  OR Dept of Agriculture Exotic Animals

Mediation Resource
Sometimes talking with your neighbor is the quickest way to address a problem. The City of Tigard partners with Beaverton's Dispute Resolution Center to offer free mediation services to Tigard residents.

Request email notification when page changes Email Me