229,774 Reasons to “Check Out” the Tigard Library
Want to feed your brain? Try aerobic exercise. Want to feed your brain and body? You can do both by walking or biking to the library, where you’ll find a feast of brain food.
Studies have shown the positive impact that exercise can have on the brain, including pumping more oxygen to the brain and helping brain cells grow. Exercise can also help elevate mood and improve cognitive functions, especially exercise that involves coordination.
The Fanno Creek Trail offers a scenic healthy route to the library. The trail is a paved, multi-use pathway for walkers, runners, bicyclists and nature enthusiasts of all ages. The trail connects downtown Tigard with Tigard's City Hall and Library. In the future, the Fields Natural Area will provide another opportunity for outdoor enthusiasts by linking to other segments of the Fanno Creek Trail.
If walking or biking isn’t an option, Tri-Met buses make it easy to get to and from the library, with a bus stop right outside our doors.
The Library promotes walking for both exercise and transportation.
- Historic Main Street: Downtown Tigard Walking Tours: Throughout the year, we offer the opportunity to explore the history of Tigard's Main Street. The walking tour is an opportunity to meet the people, businesses and events that shaped downtown Tigard.
- Cultural Passes: The Library offers cultural passes for free admission to local attractions. The passes, sponsored by WCCLS, may be reserved in advance. You may check them out for one day with a WCCLS library card. Passes are available for the Gilbert House Children's Museum, Lan Su Chinese Garden, Oregon Garden and more.
- Walk ‘n’ Roll: Every September, the library promotes pedestrian and pedal power with its Walk ‘n’ Roll event, which encourages people to come to the library on foot or on human-powered wheels. The reward? Besides the benefits of exercise, participants get a small prize for using their feet to reduce the carbon footprint.
By the Numbers at the Tigard Library
- Books: 183,506
- Video: 27,871
- Audio Materials: 16,897
- Print Serial Subscriptions (magazines, etc): 284
- Other Library Materials: 1,216
Total items at Tigard Public Library: 229,774
You can learn about the latest materials and events at the Library by subscribing to the Library’s newsletter, “Books and Bits.”